Friday, September 22, 2023

Some Funny Spam

One of the best things about this blog is comments from readers whose search engines have landed on my posts while googling for specific books. I don't know many SEO tweaks I can do from my end to make these encounters even more frequent, but at least evidence has proven that it occasionally happens anyway. What also boosts my spirits is occasionally seeing my own blog posts pop up when I'm in the middle of Google searches about specific books. It's a surreal feeling, to see something I've worked hard on appear in my feed as if I'm a stranger. 

However, the flip side of being available for discovery is all the spam! The abundance of this outnumbers legitimate book comments by far. Opting to use the comment filter has proven to be highly necessary. Without it, this blog would be full of comments which are way off the mark. 

Generally, the spam I get in my comments share these three characteristics.

1) It's essentially self-promotional on behalf of the sender.

2) The people who post it never bother to read my blog posts for suitability, or they would surely realise that my content doesn't match their agendas. Probably most of the comments are from bots. 

3) They can ooze with gushingly false compliments that make me wince. 

So here's my sample of some of the stuff I've had to clear. Although I stopped them from going live, today I'm lifting the lid for your amusement.  

A leasing agency warned me about 10 signs of mold toxicity on Literary Houses that Perish.

A mental health therapy practice advertised their services on Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning.

Another psychiatrist put their two cents worth on managing depression and anxiety in Enchantments and Depression. (Hmm, I'll wager they don't see many story book style enchantments in their clinic which I focused on here.)

A skincare company left a long spiel about their tailored expertise on Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time.

Someone hyped up their nasal hair trimmer for men on The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron (for whatever reason). 

A rental company attempted to convince me that they provide the best cars and bikes on Stories featuring Railways and Trains.

A private tutor advertised his services on The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen. (He also gave me the sweeping compliment that, 'every blog post you write is a unique experience! Yeah, yeah.)

Hyundai Spare Parts mentioned their quality stock in Stories with Mirrors.

A pool/spa builder gave himself a lengthy plug in Books to read in the bathtub. (Pun intended.)

A safety machine's website designer commented on Remarkable Causes of Death in Books inviting me to consult them. 

I got tips on how to beat driving test anxiety on Alain de Botton's Status Anxiety. (That review got a bit more attention too. Somebody else thought they'd plant a link to their article, 'How to get Xanax without Prescription' there. Um, no thanks, it's not that sort of anxiety.) 

'Everest Panorama Trek in 10 Days' urged me to give it a try, on We don't have to tackle Mt Everest.

A rose preservation company invited me to contact them for advice in Roses in Literature.

A tea franchiser offered their services in Famous Storybook Tea Parties.

A company that provides cardboard gift boxes advertised themselves on my post about The First Christmas Presents. Thanks guys, but I doubt the three wise men considered such details. 

A recruitment finance office contacted me regarding The Invoice novel by Jonas Karlsson. 

A foreign call girl centre, of all people, commented on my Anne of Green Gables read-athon. They added, 'Thank you, Sir. I like your blog very much.' What the...?

And to wrap it up, a divorce lawyer offered his services on C. S. Lewis' The Great Divorce. Little does he realise the characters in this book are far beyond any service he can provide.

Whew, it's all in the life of a blogger, as I'm sure many others know. And this isn't even including the occasional mean comment. (Such as, 'What a 😒 load of πŸ’©' on my Trixie Belden grand finale post. I was glad to delete that one. Folk, if you don't like what I have to share, you don't have to visit and read it.) 

Thanks, as always, to supportive, genuine readers who stick around.  




2 comments:

  1. A Wrinkle in Time πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚What a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my favourite instances πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

      Delete