Friday, December 11, 2020

2020 Back to the Classics Challenge Wrap-Up



Well, it's over for another year. Some I loved and admired tremendously, others I didn't think highly of at all, but as usual I read wider than I would have. Here they are, chosen and reviewed throughout the year. And now I'll eagerly wait to see if there will be a new challenge announced for yet another year.  

19th Century Classic - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte

20th Century Classic - My Antonia by Willa Cather

Classic by a Woman Author The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

Classic in Translation Kristin Lavransdattar; The Wreath by Sigrid Undset 

Classic by a Person of Colour (any classic by a non-white author) -
To Sir With Love by E.R. Braithwaite

Genre Classic (any classic novel that falls into a genre category) - The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Classic with a Person's Name in the Title Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Classic with a Place Name in the Title - Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Classic with Nature in the Title (except animals) - The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Classic about a Family - The Harp in the South novels by Ruth Park

An Abandoned Classic (that you just never got around to finishing) - Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell 

Classic Adaptation (any classic that's been adapted as a movie or TV series) Vanity Fair by W.M. Thackeray

6 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Only a couple here I've read, a few more on TBR...and a few that I may have to add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph. We never run out of reading material doing these challenges, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing! You must be so pleased! I have Enchanted April on my list for this year and can't wait to read it. Which one did you like best on this list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo, that one was an easy read with good sentiments. I'd say my favourite was Vanity Fair. Always nice to tick off another year.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on finishing this challenge--so many wonderful books. I absolutely love Vanity Fair and have read it three times and am due for another reread soon.

    I also want to reread My Antonia and The Enchanted April.

    I will check out To Sir With Love as I am still looking for the classic by a person of color for the 2021 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane,
      Yes, I think VF was one of my favourites from the whole list. It's a great time of year, this wrap-up time. And I do recommend TSWL.

      Delete