Wednesday, February 7, 2024

'Nothing Else but Miracles' by Kate Albus


From the author of A Place to Hang the Moon comes a hopeful World War II story about three scrappy siblings on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

This is one of the several WW2 themed novels I plan to read this year. I'm glad the springboard is such a delightful, whimsical read. 

MY THOUGHTS: 

Like almost every other reviewer, I was a great fan of Kate Albus' first novel, A Place to Hang the Moon. I was anxious to read this second story ever since I found out it was another WW2 tale about kids on the home front, but set in New York instead of England. 

 I love this survival story about the three Byrne siblings with their marine-themed names. Dory's father is off fighting somewhere in France. Her brother Fish is technically too young to be in charge of Dory and little Pike, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Their section of New York City's Lower Eastside is quite snug and Mr. Byrne is confident that the neighborhood will provide his children with what they need. This stroke of optimism intrigued me from the get-go, since we so often hear the opposite, that you need to watch your back in impersonal and dangerous big cities. Paired with the title and the middle-school target audience, I anticipated a treat.

Of course sudden strokes of misfortune are part of war and storytelling alike. Mr. Reedy, the diabolical new landlord of their apartment block, heckles the trio with threats of an orphanage, at least for the younger two. That's when Dory and the boys sneak off to squat in an old ghost-hotel that's been boarded up for over half a century.

I wish this book had been in print back when I was homeschooling my kids. There is a treasure-trove of leads to follow up, including ethnic food from delis and cafes to find recipes for, and wonderful nostalgic old 1940s music to listen to.

However it's worth mentioning that some other reviewers including homeschooling parents panned the story because of mischievous Dory's flagrant disobedience. She flouts the authority of her brother and teachers whenever it suits her, which according to some readers gives a dubious message that misbehavior pays off.

 While I see their point, they may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The cool flip side of their opinion is that sometimes going our own way, shrugging off conventional caution and pushing through fear may yield astounding rewards. There are times when sneakiness and boldness are required for original thinkers. Rather than being the naughty girl some people call her, Dory Byrne may, in fact, possess the germ of an entrepreneurial spirit. Dare I say that in this respect, she's an excellent example for kids.

I'm possibly biased to love this book, because Fish, Dory and Pike are an almost perfect gender, age and character match for my three children, who are now grown up. I've seen many interactions like the Byrne kids' play out for real in my own household. My older son treated his little brother with the same sort of tender sweetness Fish shows Pike, while their sister in the middle was more inclined to be blunt, practical and adventurous. That's another reason why I wish we had this during their childhood.

What more can I say? I love the comfort Dory takes on board from the strength and character she sees on the face of the Statue of Liberty. And as for a certain diamond, some call it an annoying red herring but I think it's a good twist; true to life and unpredictable.

Yes, I'd add this to my pile of warm and cosy reads. 

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 

No comments:

Post a Comment