Thursday, June 2, 2022

'Coronation' by Paul Gallico


MY THOUGHTS:

 This was a strong recommendation from a friend who came into the secondhand book shed where I volunteered for a while. She pulled this one off the shelf and told me it's brilliant. Well, serendipitous recommendations are too few and far between for me to miss a single one. I agree it was a highly enjoyable story and I decided to time this review with the queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations, which begin this week. Now, I'm sure I wasn't the only one who got a bit confused by dates, since the queen was crowned in 1952 but her coronation didn't take place until 1953. A quick bit of research reveals her coronation was delayed for a year, as a mark of respect for her father, King George VI, who had passed away so recently.

Anyway, that big day in London is what this book is all about. It's June 2nd, 1953, and the Clagg family are off to the city to join the celebrations as the new young queen is crowned. Will Clagg, the dad, is a blue-collar steel worker who is delighted to have secured five tickets for a prime viewing spot along the procession route, that includes wonderful refreshments. Their day out will have to take the place of their annual fortnight holiday to the sea, but it's a big sacrifice they all agree on. 

Young Johnny is an imaginative boy who loves to mentally cast himself in a hero's role. He most looks forward to seeing all the fancy royal soldiers and cavalry. His little sister Gwendoline is obsessed with young Queen Elizabeth II because she seems like a fairy tale character in flesh and blood. And Prince Philip is so gallant and handsome. (I remember having similar feelings about Diana is the early eighties when I was quite young.) Granny Bonner, the critical, snappish mother-in-law, can't resist the thought of being present for a significant historical moment. And Violet, the careworn young wife, is just hanging out to try a sip of champagne. 

Well, it turns out crooks and frauds were as busy in 1953 as they've always been. The Claggs' tickets turn out to be absolutely worthless. But what strikes them as a disaster turns out to bring brilliant consolation for each family member as the day unfolds. I can't improve on how the dust jacket blurb puts it. 'Each learned how to relinquish his or her own ends and desires. Yet one and all returned home laden with gifts and riches far beyond their expectations which would remain with them for the rest of their lives.' In short, it turns out not to be a complete waste of a day. 

This story is a convicting example of how poor people may possess a short cut to happiness and contentment which rich people forfeit, because their standards of what should tick our boxes are set incredibly high. The Claggs may be no-names, but without saying so outright, Paul Gallico gives the impression that in the long run, they may well clock up many more moments of contentment and satisfaction throughout their lives than VIPs who are regarded as far more important. Especially if they keep on with the same resilient attitudes.

It's one of those novels that takes place within one single day. Whoa, the overwhelming noise and bustle of that big day in London comes through the pages loud and clear. Through the medium of TV beginning in 1981, I've watched four royal weddings and Prince Philip's funeral. And now, through the medium of this little novel, I feel I've also been at the queen's coronation, although I didn't really catch a glimpse of Liz or Phil in person. And when the Claggs finally get home, I felt my ears were ringing with the sudden silence. I think this might be a nostalgic read for anyone who really was around at the time.  

I'm glad the Claggs were satisfied with how things played out, although I'm not convinced I would have been in their place. Maybe I still have a bit to be desired in the art of letting things roll. 

🌟🌟🌟🌟 

   

4 comments:

  1. Such a good recommendation, I am adding this to my to-read books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana, I thought it'd be a nice nostalgic read for this year, and next 😀 I hope you enjoy it too.

      Delete
    2. I haven’t read this one - everything Gallico wrote is brilliant

      Delete
    3. He was a prolific, feel-good author with a big, big heart. That's undeniable 💖

      Delete