Friday, January 7, 2022

'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen


Since its immediate success in 1813, Pride and Prejudice has remained one of the most popular novels in the English language. Jane Austen called this brilliant work "her own darling child" and its vivacious heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, "as delightful a creature as ever appeared in print." The romantic clash between the opinionated Elizabeth and her proud beau, Mr. Darcy, is a splendid performance of civilized sparring. And Jane Austen's radiant wit sparkles as her characters dance a delicate quadrille of flirtation and intrigue, making this book the most superb comedy of manners of Regency England.

MY THOUGHTS: 

Warning: A few mild spoilers, but I consider old classics to be fair game. And who isn't thoroughly familiar with this timeless classic anyway?

For many years I was prejudiced against Pride and Prejudice, because of its iconic reputation which I wasn't convinced smart-alecky but short-sighted Lizzy Bennet and arrogant Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy really deserved. Back in my early teens, I summed Darcy up as a nasty piece of work for alienating everyone at that first local ball by his bad manners. When he delivered his famous line (tolerable but not pretty enough to suit me) any sympathy I might have had for him was completely lost. And the screen version did nothing to help the story's cause in my youthful eyes. I remember being disillusioned by the lascivious way other females reacted to the sight of Colin Firth emerging from the lake in his white shirt. ('I mean, come on girls, we shouldn't complain about being wolf-whistled and sexually objectified, if we're going to do the exact same thing!') Altogether, it was enough to make me decide, 'Nope, I don't like Pride and Prejudice. Never will.' 

I've read it a few times since, of course, and boosted my opinion a little each time. So having reviewed each of the other five Austen classics, it was time to tackle it yet again, which I had great fun doing in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I decided to give it a fair appraisal, as if I'd never read it before. But I seriously wasn't prepared for all the impressive subtleties I don't remember noticing in past readings.  

To start with, a vulnerable side of Darcy emerged this time which I'd never considered before. Perhaps during the intervening years I've gained more knowledge about true introversion and recognise him as a member of my tribe. Yet it's still easy to understand, especially with his vast fortune and good looks, how his natural reserve could be mistaken for arrogance and pride.

 I experimented with re-reads of several dialogue-driven scenes Darcy is part of. When we read them with the mindset that he's a haughty snob, there's plenty of apparent evidence to support that opinion. Yet when we read them with an awareness that brain fog and social freeze are real things, it's far easier to cut him slack. The same slabs of dialogue yield completely different conclusions, depending on our impressions of Darcy. And indeed, Elizabeth reverses her opinion of him when she comes to know him better.

It's really carefully crafted writing from Jane Austen, since we're able to read it either of two ways. Every line such as, 'I certainly lack the talent which some people possess of conversing easily with those I have never seen before,' is a clue to the real man. He's not really a snooty elitist, but just an awkward wallflower who blurts out something entirely stupid and unsuitable on the spur of the moment which he never intended her to overhear. And that verdict makes him far more lovable.

I love Elizabeth's own feasting on humble pie. It's the moment after reading Darcy's letter to her describing his background with Wickham. She realises that in spite of giving herself credit for clear judgment and penetration, she has in fact responded to two guys (Darcy and Wickham) based on her personal experience of how flattered or snubbed they made her feel. 'How despicably I have acted,' she reflects, yet it's a mistake any of us could make. There's nothing quite like a grand moment of self-revelation in a story, since many people live their whole lives without one. 

Elizabeth is actually a very fair-minded person. Her cynical father gains a lot of sympathy from readers for rushing in and marrying a pretty airhead, and then having to live with the consequences. But throughout the story, Lizzy comes to realise that it's been hard on her mother too, living with a sarcastic grouch who makes his indifference clear by always withdrawing to his library. In fact he 'exposed his wife to the contempt of her own children' which is 'highly reprehensible.' I appreciate Lizzy's well-balanced appraisal here. 

Apart from the complex main pair, there are so many other unforgettable characters too. The 'nice guys' Bingley and Wickham; one genuine and the other hypocritical and slanderous. Parasitic Mr Collins, with all his servility and self-importance rolled into one. Lady Catherine de Bourgh, the autocratic old tree whose sap he'll keep sucking, because he knows as long as he flatters, she'll keep nourishing. The pragmatic Charlotte Lucas, who considers a ridiculous husband a fair sacrifice for security and social standing. The ultimate catty, mean girl, Caroline Bingley. (What a 'rhymes-with-witch'!) And the shallow and reactive Mrs Bennet, and her equally boy-crazy, fashion obsessed youngest daughter Lydia. What a fantastic cast!

This time round, I can't help really liking Jane. Brushing her off as Lizzy's naive, less penetrating and therefore vulnerable older sister does her an injustice. Jane isn't blind to people's faults and shady motives. She just chooses to give others the benefit of the doubt for her own peace of mind. On the whole, choosing to think well of people isn't a cop-out, but a tranquil and sound way to live, because it takes far less energy than maintaining a mental resentment list. It's Jane's secret weapon, just as Lizzy's is humour and discernment. For example, Jane is the only person willing to think the best of Darcy after Wickham has spread his malicious tale around, and it turns out she's right to do so. Steady and kind wins the day. Anyone can benefit from a friend like Jane. 

I'd forgotten some of the brilliant social comedy in the book! I love it that Elizabeth is busy rehearsing every reason why she hates Darcy the very moment before he enters and makes her his first atrocious proposal. And how Lady Catherine later gives her nephew a ray of hope while she thinks she's actually stamping out the final embers of his misplaced affection. Then there's Mr Collins' abysmal letters to Mr Bennet! And the fact that Mrs Bennet, unaware of Darcy's magnanimous gesture, is perfectly chill with the idea that her brother Mr Gardiner should fork out big money from his own pocket to cover the indiscretions of her daughter, Lydia. Every single page is highly entertaining.

Since I decided Pride and Prejudice may be overrated compared to Austen's other classics, I aimed to choose another one as a personal favourite instead. I left this review till very last, assuming I knew it back to front. But guess what? I've changed my mind, as it now seems this book must always deliver some fresh revelation for each stage of our lives. It deserves all its praise for introducing the 'hate to love' theme long before it was even a trope, and no doubt helped to make it so.

 I concede, it is my very favourite Jane Austen novel after all. Like Lizzy and Darcy, I can admit when I was wrong. 

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟  

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review. How fun! You were extremly prejudiced in your opinion of P&P. But how wonderful to have gained from its lessons. I'm so excited now to re-read it (again) bc I know I have more to glean from it. I play to read it later this year. I do appreciate Jane so much bc I have learned personally how important it is to give people the benefit of the doubt. It is so helpful and kind and, God knows, we hope others do the same for us. Darcy is so awkward, but knowing ahead of time sure does make us feel pity for him. So you never know what someone's weakness or fault is, or even if they are just having a bad day. It makes a huge difference in how we perceive and treat others. (LOL. I didn't need to lecture you; you said it all very eloquently in your post.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, when a teenager makes a firm decision, it's hard to change, haha 😂 But it's an overall brilliant and fun book. I'm surprised by how protective I felt of Darcy this time. And yes, so glad sweet Jane found eventual happiness with Bingley. She deserved it. I'll look forward to your own re-read.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your review!!! I do love this one. I'm not sure if I love it *more* than Persuasion. But I love it nearly so. I think Austen just improves with each rereading. Even books that I wasn't wowed with the first time, I come to appreciate more and more each time I revisit the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky 😊 I'm taking it as just a bit of extra proof that we do owe it to a good book to read it more than once, because opinions surely do change. I love Persuasion too, with its second chance theme.

      Delete
  3. Hurrah! After long contemplation you have at last arrived at the proper conclusion.
    Love your insight and witty review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha 🤣 Yes, after years and years, it was finally inevitable. Thanks Meredith.

      Delete
  4. What an insightful and honest review, Paula! Isn't it great when a good book starts to wok on us over the course of years, yielding something fresh with each reading? I especially appreciate your point about books sometimes providing the shock of self-revelation we might otherwise go without (but which more often than not we could do with!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, it's so true, and not the first time it's happened to me either. I'm sure we lose that experience too, when we place books into the 'read that' pile and never return to them again. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Paula!! What a perfect write up!! As you might recall, I have my own spotty history with P&P, and it would seem we've reached the same conclusion - despite our own pride and prejudices, it definitely lives up to the hype.

    Have you had the opportunity to read the audiobook? I was amazed when, on a lark, I gave it a go on a long walk: SO MANY SUBTLETIES that flew by me in the paper-and-ink version, and the COMEDY really sings when listening to it read aloud. Highly recommend! I was planning on writing a post about it, but haven't quite got around to it yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheree, no, I haven't looked for the audiobook, but you've whetted my appetite. I'm getting some good summer beach walks in lately, and that sounds just the thing. It sounds like just the sort of thing Jane Austen would have loved.

      Delete