Monday, January 4, 2021

Slow Reading (and why I stopped my Goodreads Challenge)

Life in the 21st century is hurtling along at a frenetic pace, which occasional protesters have tried to handicap with the introduction of movements such as 'Slow Food' or 'Slow Gardening' to counterbalance the ease of quick stops at fast food outlets and supermarkets. In recent years, several people have pointed out that our digital era also impacts how we read.

Never before has there ever been so much free reading material available at the click of our computer mice. Articles and blog posts pop up on our screens at the rate of a pandemic. There is far too much for any single individual to keep abreast of, so FOMO sets in. We fear missing out on anything good because of the sheer abundance of notifications we receive all day, each implicitly pleading, 'Read me, read me!' 

We can either shrug off the angst and intentionally let some slide back into cyberspace where they came from, or we can try to stretch our limited attention as far as it possibly can. Many of us are attempting the second option; training ourselves to skim passages in an effort to cut to the chase, with no regret for any finer detail we might sacrifice.

I've seen popular speed reading courses advertised for students, and one young lecturer tipped us off that because of the bulk of assigned reading, we should learn to cherry pick whatever we need from text books without getting bogged down in the whole lot. When it comes to reading, we've become like ducks who are satisfied gobbling up the light weed floating on top of the pond, with no desire to dive down deeper for denser snacks with more nutrients. 

I'm sure for me this started way back at Adelaide Uni, when the number and density of our English novels exceeded the time in which we were given to read them and write the assignments. But that was a long time ago and I no longer want to be that shallow, restless reader who flits from book to book without leaving time for proper mental digestion. I suspect that when I do, I miss far too much. When we take time to read slowly and properly, even if we don't enjoy every moment, we can be sure we've missed nothing vital. I'd rather be a pelican than a hummingbird in my reading habits. 

This blog is my attempt to intentionally read slowly with my writing pad and pen at hand to jot down interesting thoughts as I progress through my books. It's my protest against the fast reading trend. And one bonus is that we get to know ourselves better, and consolidate our own true feelings when we read deeper and ponder longer.

I like to choose a fair share of thick classics authors wrote way back in the dim, dark past when reading was a main form of recreation. Sometimes when I turn another page and see more lengthy introspection or detailed nature descriptions, my pulse begins to race and my inner eyeballs roll back as my subconscious urges me to please hurry up. These visceral reactions are signs that I really need to take a deep breath and get nice and slow about my reading. When my breathing and heart rate have calmed, or I feel a desire to re-read a paragraph just for a beautiful turn of phrase, I know I'm on the right track. Clicking into that contemplative frame which our ancestors probably experienced far more often than us is a major victory. 

For the past several years, I undertook the Goodreads Challenge. Its aim is to decide in January how many books we'll knock off our reading lists before December, choosing a number that sounds slightly beyond our comfort zone. We give ourselves pats on the back with each one and a big hurrah at the end. But it's all a bit crazy if you ask me, because in 2019 my shortest book was 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' and my longest was 'War and Peace', yet they each count as equal, single ticks in the total.

 In 2020 I started with a sinking heart instead of a rush of anticipation. Although Goodreads has great intentions by encouraging us to read more books, the emphasis on quantity irks me. It's precisely when I focus on churning through them and ticking them off that I get angsty and wound up, more inclined to binge on the next one than ponder the last.  

So I went into Goodreads and pulled the plug on the challenge! I never regretted that decision for a moment all year. Nobody even noticed that I opted out of the Goodreads Challenge or questioned me about it. And at the end of the year, I was surprised to find that Goodreads sent me an automatically generated wrap-up of my year's reading anyway. That's the best part, and not the mental whip of the tally. I won't be doing the challenge this year either. Here's to more note taking, scrunched up wads of paper, navigating my way through loopy paragraphs, copying beautiful sentences into my quote book and turning back to start of a book to clear up something I've read part way through.  

Are you into living and reading slow too? And be honest to yourself, did you feel inclined to speed read this blog post itself, so you could move on to the next thing? That could be a sign that you need to take my warning on board :)   

20 comments:

  1. I've definitely slowed down as I've gotten older. I used to zoom through books and read 550+ books per year. But I have realized that quantity isn't better than quality. I want to be true to my natural pace. I don't want to rush through a book that deserves a slow reading. But I don't necessarily want to drag through a book that doesn't...if that makes sense. I haven't given up the Goodreads challenge. But I have loosened some of the "musts" that I started out with...like I must review five books a week on my blog or else. That was so freeing!!! Incredibly freeing to be able to say I will post when I post and I don't HAVE to put all this pressure on myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, wow, what a total!!! That was more than the days of the year to blog about them, haha 😆 I'm definitely hearing you now. We read ourselves ragged to obey those self-imposed rules, then realise it doesn't even matter to anybody else but us. Slowing down makes such a lot more sense than burning out on something that should be rewarding and fun.

      Delete
  2. I read like a snail. I never participated in the Goodreads challenge or anything similar.

    Lately my issue is that I have not put enough time into reading. That, plus reading slow has made my progress a bit too slow.

    It is good that you are into taking it slow now. Reading too fast is like eating too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian, good on you for not jumping aboard that treadmill at the outset. I'm certain that as you say, there's such a thing as 'reading indigestion'. I even blogged about it once. It shouldn't be that way, and sometimes working hard just takes over.

      Delete
  3. Paula, if it adds pressure it's not worth it - which is why I'm not doing it this year either. My goal has been 100 books for the past few years and I managed it easily. In 2020 however, Covid happened and the husbear was working from home (and demanding more of my attention lol) and for the first time I didn't make my "quota", though I came close. It's fun to know that I read around 100 books a year but I won't be doing it as a "challenge" this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, hear hear! There's enough pressure in the world as there is, especially with Covid happening. We certainly don't need self imposed pressure on top of that, around something that's supposed to be relaxing and fun. And you know you're basically a centenarian anyway, when it comes to books.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Paula. It's a common and real problem. My problem is that I read fast because I want to know what happens ...

    But I do find the speed reading works against me when it comes to ingesting books like the Bible. I need to consciously slow down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iola, the first scenario you've mentioned is a wonderful exception. The speedy reading of an excellent and compelling book. We read into the early hours just to find out what happens. Here's to more books like that in 2021!

      Delete
  5. Oh, you are so right, Paula.

    This paragraph...

    I like to choose a fair share of thick classics authors wrote way back in the dim, dark past when reading was a main form of recreation. Sometimes when I turn another page and see more lengthy introspection or detailed nature descriptions, my pulse begins to race and my inner eyeballs roll back as my subconscious urges me to please hurry up. These visceral reactions are signs that I really need to take a deep breath and get nice and slow about my reading. When my breathing and heart rate have calmed, or I feel a desire to re-read a paragraph just for a beautiful turn of phrase, I know I'm on the right track. Clicking into that contemplative frame which our ancestors probably experienced far more often than us is a major victory.

    ...was right on.

    So, can I share my frame of mind? This began a year or so ago, subconsciously, when I said, to myself, "I don't have much time (I turned 50 in 2020, LOL!)," but what I'd really like to do is reread my absolute favorites, esp. those that demand deep introspection. I'd rather just be left with a few good ones to revisit over and over.

    So I'm on a quest to just finish reading what is remaining on my shelves, so I can snuggle up with the ones I declare absolutely necessary, and do, what you declare: read deeper and ponder longer!!!

    It's like you could be left with your ten favorite books of all time or just ten quality books period, and you would be ok to re-live them over and over again and never miss a thing. That's the kind of reading you long to do. I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, Yes, I'm nodding all through your comment. Firstly, we're in the same place. (I turned 50 on Christmas Eve 2019, so have just recently turned 51.) I'm sure we're both well aware that there are more great books in the world than time for us to read them all. So your idea sounds spot on! Our handful of absolute favourites contain endless wisdom worth pondering. I've always liked your idea of a Personal Canon.

      I recently read advice from librarian Nancy Pearl that if you're 50, you should limit yourself to reading just the first 50 pages before deciding if you wish to continue. But that's fodder for another blog post, haha 😉

      Delete
    2. I think 50 pages is a great idea. I was pushing myself to 100 or so, but 50 sounds even better.

      Delete
    3. Yes, and she even advises that with each subsequent year of your life, you should minus a page when making that decision. 49 pages if you're 51, 48 if you're 52 and so on. Just one page for anyone lucky enough to still be a keen reader at 99, I guess, haha. I can definitely see her wisdom behind it.

      Delete
  6. Amen to this post. I go through phases when I read quickly and others when I read slowly, and I know that challenges don't work for me because I don't like the pressure. I'm not even on Goodreads, to be honest, simply because I'm afraid I'd probably succumb to temptation and join the race... They are part of Amazon, so yeah, no surprise they kind of promote quantity over quality (I know. Might sound mean, but it is an aspect one might want to consider). Having said all that... happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginette, that sounds like a wise decision to me. You know yourself well 💕 And it's true about the affiliation too. They know that encouraging people to read fast ends up feathering their own nest nicely 😆 Great point.

      Delete
  7. LOL - I have a post scheduled for ACW tomorrow on the benefits of reading out of our comfort zones and I've listed a number of challenges. But you'll be happy to know I also added a par at the end about being kind to ourselves. I think challenges are great if we see them as an encouragement, but not if it adds pressure to an already busy life. And in some challenges I've been involved with, some good ol' low-level cheating has gone on to quickly read a few shorter books or think laterally to try to make a book I've already read fit into some arbitrary category.

    I think it depends why we're reading. I'm happy to skim read if I'm trying to find the part I need in a non-fiction book or reference book, or if I'm whizzing through a blog to get the gist. But if reading for pleasure, it's good to take that time to enjoy it. Interesting post, Paula. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nola,
      I'll look forward to your post tomorrow because I do enjoy a good reading challenge, although I tend to look for simpler ones now, for reasons mentioned here, lol.

      I completed all 52 categories of the Pop Sugar challenge in 2015 but felt as if I'd read myself ragged 😆 And I made some simplified selections, such as Green Eggs & Ham for the banned book.

      I usually complete the Back to the Classics challenge in recent years because there are only twelve categories and a book a month complete with thoughts is easier than a book a week.

      I'll definitely check to see which challenges you've mentioned.

      Delete
  8. Good on you, Paula! I agree. We need to read more slowly to enjoy the style and descriptions and get to know the characters, as well as following the story. If I read a book very fast, it usually means I find it boring. I've given up on challenges. I feel that there is a big element of truth in this re writing too. I'm not all for writing as fast as possible to churn out quantity. I'd rather immerse myself in it and aim at quality. Thanks Paula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanette,
      Yes, you've mentioned the flip side of the coin, which is poor authors being encouraged to 'speed write' to keep up with all the speed reading people are encouraged to do. Publishers cracking the whip at their writers to churn out more books within a certain time period whether or not they have any ideas. We can take our stand, by taking time with both.

      Delete
  9. That's such a good approach, Paula - the magic of reading can't (necessarily) be quantified, and it certainly can't be rushed in service of an arbitrary goal ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheree,
      That's it. New year, time to evaluate the approach.

      Delete