Monday, September 7, 2020

Reading Books Reflectively


 I've long been aware of a style of Bible or Scripture study named Lectio Divina (which is Latin for Divine Reading). It's a method featured in western Christianity, made famous in many monasteries, which involves more than merely reading a passage. You turn it over in your mind, considering every word, nuance and feeling evoked. Then you home in on the aspects that stand out most to you, since these are most likely to match whatever is going on in your psyche or deeper self. Several times over the past few years, I've taken turns sharing insights around the table with other ladies during sessions of Lectio Divina. We ponder a passage silently, then discuss what strikes us as most significant. It can be very interesting when the feedback is different, and that's partly what Lectio Divina is all about.

A novel I recently read called In this House of Brede was set in a convent and focuses on a group of nuns. The glossary at the back of the book describes how their founder, St Benedict, approved of Lectio Divina, so personal time was assigned for it across the board each day. But it wasn't confined to the Bible or even theological books. The Dames and Sisters were encouraged to practice a form of Lectio Divina on all sorts of books, including philosophy, comparative religion, music, art, poetry and even novels. And it's all geared toward the same end, which is spiritual understanding and increased wisdom.

Wow, you can bet I was pleased to see that such diverse reading was highly valued at Brede. Especially the mention of novels, which often miss out on the credit they deserve as mediums of great truth. Reading is basically my main hobby, and what this blog is all about. The books we read shouldn't pass through our minds and spirits without leaving residual traces of something good or beneficial. Grabbing a pen to nut out whatever that might be is one of my favourite parts of the process. It doesn't need to have religious overtones, like Lectio Divina in its purest, classical form. Books, and maybe even novels in particular, are some of the best sources of insight, epiphanies and a-ha moments. 

My fun extends from reading and forming my own opinions to reading those of others, in the forms of articles and reviews. If others' thoughts are similar to mine, I get a flash of something characters of Lucy Maud Montgomery might call kindred spirit feeling. If they're different, that can be very confronting and revealing. If I get really indignant by others' opinions, it might signify that self-examination could be handy. We can tell a lot about a person by the nature of their buttons and how easy they are to push. That includes ourselves. Sometimes, if we're open-minded enough, some understanding of the opposite point of view might just rub off on us, probably not enough to change our minds but at least to soften our edges. 

Reading books in the reflective style of lectio divina must be a great workout for the mind and soul. Long may it last.      

6 comments:

  1. Interesting thought, Paula. When I did my Grad Dip at Tabor, one of the assignments involved reading mainstream novels and then thinking of how they might intersect with faith (that's probably not the right wording, but it was along those lines). I read Atonement by Ian McEwan, Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks, and The Reader by Bernhard Schlink for that assignment. My own view of sin and forgiveness differed from the conclusions all of them drew--they were all quite pessimistic. However, they really got me thinking and they would be great conversation starters about faith (especially around sin and forgiveness, and whether you can ever atone for 'unforgivable' sins). I don't always take the time to reflect on novels once I've finished them, but perhaps I should. There are indeed lots of truths to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nola, what a great assignment (everyone who's done that course speaks so highly of it) and response on your part. I must admit I've never read that trio of books, though I've definitely heard of them, they're so well known. Sounds like a very meaty assignment, and I can imagine it generated some good conversations with the staff.

      Delete
  2. I like this, and I think this comes very naturally for some readers. (Like myself.) If I am understanding your explanation of it, this kind of reading makes the act very personal and intentional, and enhances one's experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, yes indeed! It is a deeper and more personal form of reading, and I look forward to updates from others, like yourself.

      Delete
  3. I only recently became familiar with the idea of lectio divina (through the fabulous Harry Potter And The Sacred Text podcast), and I think it's brilliant. Really, any system or strategy that gets us to read actively and reflectively can only be a good thing. And I totally know what you mean about the kindred spirit feeling! I get that too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheree, so true! Not a difficult thing to get our heads around for such cool results. And the kindred spirit feeling can't be beaten 😃

      Delete