Monday, July 6, 2020

The Anne Series by L.M. Montgomery



I've been hearing plenty of nostalgia about Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne series recently. Along with everything else she ever wrote, these are heart-warming classics which I read many times during my childhood and youth. Anne is a genuinely beautiful soul whose happy outlook can't help rubbing off on readers. Even though I've referred to them lots since starting this blog, I haven't read them for many years. I decided I'm well overdue for a re-read. 

They're easy, pleasurable reads, so I'll space the eight of them out each fortnight, to take about four months all up. Each write-up will include aspects I still love, things that didn't impress me so much this time round, and great quotes. Please feel more than welcome to join me, or at least follow my progress. We'll kick off in a fortnight with Anne of Green Gables, the bestseller that got this mighty ball rolling. 

And just to add a bit more fun, let's give each book an alternative title to match the F.R.I.E.N.D.S sitcom format. If you've read the series before, these might spur your memory, and if you haven't, they'll stimulate your curiosity. Now, stay tuned for more as we get stuck into this Anne-athon.  


Anne of Green Gables
The One with the smashed slate

Anne of Avonlea
The One where she teaches school

Anne of the Island
The One with all the Proposals

Anne of Windy Willows
The One with Two Titles 

Anne's House of Dreams
The One with the Creepy Amnesiac Dude

Anne of Ingleside
The One with all the Kids

Rainbow Valley
The One with all the Minister's Kids

Rilla of Ingleside
The One Set during the Great War

6 comments:

  1. I've still got all of those here at home, with those 80s covers. Though I don't think I got through them all from cover to cover. I think I got a bit bogged down with Anne of Windy Willows and then jumped to Rilla of Ingleside. Will look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nola, yes, such a flashback to the 80s! At least you still have them on the shelf for posterity. I'm so looking forward to getting down to Rilla of Ingleside again, which I remember as such a tear-jerker.

      Delete
  2. I loooved the Anne books! However, I don't think I read them all in the end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's never too late to pick them up again, including the ones you missed first time around ❤😉

      Delete
  3. I re read my Anne books every 4 - 5 years, which have exactly the same cover pictures as yours!
    Matthew's death always has me in tears. I didn't know Lucy Maud wrote other books till I was in my 30's, think I have devoured all of these books through second hand shop purchases.
    I'm tagging along for your review ride Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di, I'd be delighted to have you tag along 👏 Five year intervals sounds like a great gap, and poor old Matthew's death often makes my eyes a bit damp just thinking of it. I own almost all of her other books too, except for some of the short story volumes, and most are these same editions. I love the Emily and Pat books too ❤ And of course, The Blue Castle! Do keep tuned for my start with Anne of GG on July 20th.

      Delete