Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Gift of the Gab or Gift of the Pen?



In War and Peace, young Natasha Rostov chafes with frustration when circumstances separate her for a year from her fiance, Prince Andrei Bolkonsky. She sends him letters, but written communication is an utter drag to her, because using a pen as the medium for her thoughts is foreign to Natasha's dynamic nature. It's clunky and tiresome for her. Here is what Tolstoy tells us about Natasha.

'She was no great writer, and found it impossible to set down adequately in a letter the thousandth part of what she was used to conveying by means of her voice, her smile and her eyes. She wrote him a series of dry, formal and identical missives to which she attached not the slightest importance, with spelling mistakes corrected by the countess (her mother) at the rough copy stage.' 

Does that make you nod with understanding and sympathy for her? I've met many people I'm sure would relate to Natasha. They are people whose spontaneous speech I envy. Thoughts seem to bubble instantly to the tips of their tongues, enabling them to express ideas fluently with conviction the moment they enter their heads. To put it another way, their mental conception and verbal expression appear simultaneous. This fortunate pairing often seems to go with extroverted personalities, and I can understand why. When your mind and tongue enjoy such reliable teamwork, it  strengthens your social confidence, as you're unlikely to humiliate yourself by stuttering and scrambling for words. This strikes me as a happy flow circle, as opposed to a vicious circle. And Tolstoy's Natasha belongs in this group. Vivid, colourful, talkative and alive.

I consider myself part of an opposite group who tend to get uneasy in social situations. I think 'mind paralysis' is a good term for the blank panic we experience, when some cruel thumb seems to press the 'Refresh' buttons of our minds just when we want to talk. Our thoughts seem to scoot far from us, and our speech lags even further behind. We are certain this makes us appear more dense and bereft than we really are. We are the folk who rely heavily on our pens and keyboards as the best tools to offer us a way out. After many years of trying to deal with this phenomenon, I've at least learned some info to help us understand why it happens.

Apparently this mind paralysis occurs mainly in introverts (no surprise there) and is because of the depth to which we have to dive for the words we need. Introverts tend to reach down into our long term memories for whatever we want to say, while extroverts have more of a rapport with their short term memories. That's why they often discover that smooth spiel at the tips of their tongues which makes me envious.

With me, and maybe you too, there is often a time lapse, and sometimes a long one. I may have a sketchy idea of something interesting or meaningful to say, but the words don't flow to my tongue on the spot. They can take several seconds. Often I need to mull my ideas over and think them through more carefully before I have anything cohesive to say. Meanwhile people are looking at me and waiting for pearls of wisdom which I fear they won't get. Ever since my childhood, I've practiced training myself out of this awkward reaction, which usually means resorting to second-rate words just to cut short that awkward pause. I'm aware that well-spoken answers will never be reflexive for me, no matter how hard I practice. I know in my heart that whatever I manage to come up with verbally falls far short of what I would write, had I the time.

I understand and sympathise with introverts who dread parties because they fear being put on the spot. Who wants to be that guest with the silly smile and blank mind? We crash when we get home, understandably. Winging it while our brains are telling us, 'I've got nothing,' is exhausting work. While our extrovert friends have been enjoying some pleasant paddling, we've done the equivalent of deep sea diving for several hours.

On top of this, we deal with stress hormones such as cortisol which flood our bodies while we anxiously stand there, unwilling to look like idiots. It's the ancient 'fight or flight' situation, but instead of saber-toothed tigers, we face smiling friends with finger food and cups of tea.

Susan Cain, the author of 'Quiet', tells us that when it comes to writing, the introvert's expression is quite different. Although we are still working with words, they are coming from different neural pathways than our spoken words. Easier pathways which enable the flow to kick in. That's why, unlike Natasha Rostov, my pens and computer keyboard are stimulants rather than handicaps. It's nice to know there's a valid reason why some of us might prefer to choose tapping away on Messenger over picking up the telephone (that tool of interruption!) And why making a blog article out of this feels far clearer than I might come across trying to explain the same thing across the table. Some of us belong to a far quieter group than the first, but writing is a gift that enables us to spend time with you in a more eloquent way than we otherwise might.

I do wish I'd understood all this several years ago, because if there's one thing worth taking away, it's this. We sufferers of mind paralysis may never find ourselves totally at ease in life, but at least we no longer need to mentally beat ourselves up. Since there's a scientific basis for our malady, it's absolutely not a character defect! We aren't dummies with nothing to offer. Nor are we cowards, incapable of overcoming fear. And if we hear that we've been called stand-offish, we can rest assured that it's a mistaken assumption on the part of others who don't understand. We are simply people with more meandering feedback loops, when it comes to communication. Nothing takes the pressure off more than grasping this.

So where do you stand on the spectrum? Are you more of a Natasha or a Paula?

14 comments:

  1. Fascinating post. I had always considered myself a talker and I rarely feel awkward when I need to speak. I never write much until a few years ago when I started blogging. It turns out that I like to express myself through writing too. But in the end, talking is my thing.

    I would like to read Quiet. It sounds like a fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian, the study of a scientific basis behind personality differences sure is fascinating. Especially since it's easy to assume any differences are just 'us'.

      Very cool that you're enjoying both speech and pen since blogging. I've come to appreciate the spoken word over recent years, and not taken it for granted from anyone.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo'Anne, I'm so thankful that we have all those written outlets you've mentioned at our disposal 😄 The 21st century is the best time period so far for introverts to communicate so well, as we didn't have these options in the past. So easy to remember when it was just the phone, which always seemed like such an intrusive tool to me. Whenever you call, you're bound to interrupt whatever people are doing 😉 I'm glad you relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, definitely prefer the pen/keyboard. I'm comforted to find others who are as adverse to the phone as me!

    I've read, Quiet. I've also read, "The Introvert Advantage" by Marti Olsen Laney, which I actually preferred. However, that may be because I read it first. It contains similar information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, it's always nice to discover our 'tribe'. I have The Introvert Advantage too, and find they go well together. I wish ladies such as these had been publishing their research back in the eighties when I was still at school, but better late than never. And I have to add I love reading your articles, so it doesn't surprise me that you're a pen person.

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula,
    I am like you. My heart and mind connect and my words flow best when I have pen and paper or a keyboard in front of me. As a shy, awkward teenager, writing gave me a voice I didn't otherwise have. My closest friends were those who communicated with me through letters - they knew me more than those who were with me everyday in person. Writing gave me an identity ... or rather, helped me find it. I am grateful to God for the gift He has given me. These days I know that if I have something important to say, the best way for me to express it is to write it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I can echo yes to every word of that 😄 It really is such a gift that we never take for granted, nor reading, which is its close twin. Thank God for the written word.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure where it puts me on the spectrum you describe, but I'm a HUGE chatterbox (and a massive overwriter, too, so I generally just lump it all in the category of being "wordy"). I find it hard to not speak, to not jump in, to not break an awkward silence, etc. In some ways, I wish my brain could slow down, take a little longer to mull over what I'm about to say - inevitably, at one of those parties you mention, I'll talk someone's ear off and then berate myself the whole way home for talking too much, saying something ridiculous, saying something that could be taken the wrong way, etc. One of my primary school report cards actually said "Sheree could talk under wet cement", and it's certainly still true. 😅😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Words are your medium no matter what form they take. That's brilliant 😄 I think we all go through that post-party post mortem you mention too, no matter if we've spoken a lot or a little. It's the angst of over-thinking WHAT we've said. But we keep thinking of things to say or write, so that's the main thing 👍 I love your teacher's comment.

      Delete
  6. I'm a Paula!

    I'm glad you wrote about this bc you describe in words what I know I experience, and yet could not identify it. I have long pauses in my speaking b/c I am trying to find the common word or name that I should know off the top of my head. Others will usually fill in for me! Ugh! It's so frustrating. I'd rather write out all of my explanations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks Ruth :) In fact, I'm sure writing is even quicker for us than speaking, in the long run.

      Delete
  7. This was my problem while i was in college. The words that i was about to say go away because shyness prevails and i would become tongue-tied or my answers lacked coherence. I would rather write than talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! 👍 I've found after all these years that however hard we practice, the phenomenon never entirely disappears. I have two oral presentations due next week. I already predict they won't be quite as smooth as I imagine.

      Delete