Friday, October 8, 2021

My Definitive Ranking of the Narnia Chronicles

First off, I never expected to be writing this list at all, because I'm not a big fan of choosing favourites. A series is like one lovely chocolate bar you can eat in seven or so bite sized pieces. Therefore if it's an A+ series altogether, why bother splitting it up to rank each bite? 

My decision came as a result of doing something else I rarely do, that is checking my phone while out having dinner. On my husband's last birthday while we were waiting for our meals, I thought I'd spy on the kids and see if they were online. Instead, I stumbled on an article in which someone else had ranked the Narnia Chronicles. I felt myself growing hot under the collar because I disagreed with the author's placements nearly every step of the way. 

It made for an interesting dinner conversation, because I said, 'I just don't know what this person is thinking!' and kept adding, 'Nope... no way... they just don't get the point.' My husband enjoys playing devil's advocate when I'm that mad, and the upshot is that I'm writing my own ranking list just to offset the balance. I'll start backwards with the bottom, leaving the best until last.  

There may be spoilers in these reflections, but I'm sure most readers will be familiar with Narnia anyway. You can also read my individual thoughts on the entire series.

The Bottom Trio

7th place - The Last Battle

It's not the Problem of Susan alone that makes me set the grand finale down so low, although she's always been a lovable and relatable character. Susan's story surely isn't finished yet, but it is as far as the series is concerned, which disappoints me. The startling death revelations always get me down too, and the dysfunctional friendship of Shift and Puzzle just makes me see red. 

6th place - The Magician's Nephew

I had to ask myself why I'm placing this second last, since I couldn't really fault it. Negative characters such as Uncle Andrew and Queen Jadis get more than their fair share of airplay, but that's not my reason. I think it's simply that it's been elevated to first place in reading order just because it belongs there chronologically. Back in the 1950s it was published sixth out of seven, so if C.S. Lewis hadn't insisted that this newcomer take first place, I possibly wouldn't rank it so low. I do appreciate that he intended it as a prequel and extra treat, but tend to agree with friends who claim that this tale shouldn't be first in the series. Reading the Narnian genesis story of the lamp post, wardrobe and landscape surely makes a huger impact in retrospect than to start off with. Yet I also understand that if we do read it in retrospect, it may be somewhat anticlimactic. That tension turns this book into a bit of an odd-bod.

Of course if I'm really being honest, I just like most of the others better. 

5th place - Prince Caspian

Hmm, there's just such a lot of exposition and backstory that the Pevensie kids must sit through before they're really in a position to help. And that does hinder the action considerably, as much as I love Lucy's faithful consternation when it seems she's the only person who can see Aslan, and her attempts to sway the others, including stubborn Susan. As for Prince Caspian himself, how long does that poor boy have to wait for help after he blows his horn? He could've died at any moment while his rescuers were listening to his life story and munching apples. 

The Middle Pivot

4th place - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I know, I know, it's the most iconic book of the series, yet I'm placing it in such a modest spot! Well, let me argue that it's in the perfect place because middle ranking is the heart of the series. It's the core around which all the others revolve. It tells Narnia's gospel tale of Edmund's treachery, Aslan's great sacrifice on his behalf, and the defeat of the Witch. The fact that I prefer three others even more than this one is the cool coincidence that allows me to say, 'Yep, this beautiful book is central to the whole series.' Now without further ado, let's get on to them.

The Top Trio

3rd place - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

This slides into my upper tier because of Eustace's transformation from dragon back to boy. It brilliantly reveals our vulnerable position in the world and the limitations of the self-help movement. Plus, it has incredible descriptive narrative when the ship's crew finally reach their destination as far east as they can sail. Lewis is master when it comes to heavenly speculation, making us wonder if he'd actually paid a visit somehow during the writing of this book. Placing this in my top three is a, 'Well written, Jack,' vote from me. 

2nd place - The Horse and his Boy

What a tough choice, as I really wanted to place this one first. In fact, maybe if I'd been in a different reflective mood another time, I'd have done a swap and made it Number One. It was a great move by Lewis to set this story-within-a-story during the era when the Pevensies rule as monarchs. The four main characters have so many relatable and problematic attitude adjustments to make before moving on. They are earthy and genuine. They aim to be furtive and discreet, yet their quest becomes urgent and vital. And the relationship between Shasta and Aravis is highly charged with tense undercurrents. Mostly I adore the divine appointments which resemble disasters on the surface, but turn out not to be as devastatingly random as they appear. Indeed, most are totally orchestrated by Aslan for everyone's greater good. It's such cool stuff. 

I'd better move on before I really do change my mind and re-shuffle. 

1st place - The Silver Chair 

Woohoo!! I think it has a few faults which I wasn't backward about discussing, but all the events that take place underground nudge it to top spot for me. We have fierce psychological manipulation and ample opportunities for Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum to reason their way out of the quest without anyone thinking any the worst of them. The impact of discouragement on the heels of honest mistakes mirrors life so accurately. And the undercurrents between Jill and Eustace aren't too different from Shasta and Aravis. (Though they don't live long enough to get married, thanks to that shocking twist in The Last Battle.) Overall, the sombre physical pressure of the inescapable setting coupled with the intense mental pressure of the mind games they're subjected to makes it the ultimate winner. 

Whew, so that's my list, and I know yours will very likely be different. There are countless variations of seven, after all. I'd be very interested to hear your rankings, with or without the reasons.   

4 comments:

  1. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
    Silver Chair
    Horse and His Boy
    Prince Caspian
    Magician's Nephew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, this is great :) I can see we share similar bottom choices especially, and I do appreciate how The Last Battle doesn't get a placement on your list, haha. presumably for similar reasons as mine.

      Delete
  2. Mine would be...
    7) Prince Caspian
    6) The Last Battle
    5) The Horse and His Boy
    4) The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
    3) Voyage of The Dawn Treader
    2) Magicians Nephew
    1) Silver Chair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, The Silver Chair is tops! Apart from The Horse and his Boy and The Magician's Nephew, I think we're sort of similar. And we both placed TLTWATW in the split centre, which is interesting.

      Delete