Friday, January 15, 2021

Back to the Classics Challenge, 2021



It's become a real tradition to begin a year with this reading challenge that gets us digging deep for classics, so I've just got my thinking cap on for 2021. Apart from the usual regulars, this year seems to include the return of some old favourite categories, so it's been fun to choose books that missed out in previous years. OK, here goes.

1) 19th Century Classic - A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

2) 20th Century Classic - Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

3) A Woman Author - Song of the Lark by Willa Cather

4) A Classic in Translation - Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

5) BIPOC (or non-white) author - Miguel Street (or The Makioka Sisters)

6) A New to You Author - The Darling Buds of May by H.E. Bates

7) New to You Book by a Favourite Author - Work by Louisa May Alcott

8) A Classic about an Animal or with an Animal in the Title - Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster

9) A Children's Classic - Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery

10) A Humorous or Satirical Classic - Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith

11) A Travel or Adventure Classic - The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

12) A Classic Play - Macbeth by William Shakespeare

12 comments:

  1. Some goodies there! I've wanted to read that Frankl book for ages; Makioka Sisters was a different sort of read for me but it was very good. Happy reading. I think my comment is actually going to post!! Sometimes I just can't make it work but if I see my Google photo (as I can now) it does work. Can't work out what the problem is but if often happens with Blogs that don't have pop up comments. ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,
      I'm glad your comment posted 😊 I've had a few issues with some WordPress blogs at times, and it's frustrating.

      Yes, another good year of reading is ahead for us all. I'm glad you recommend Makioka Sisters, as I'm not sure what to expect.

      Delete
  2. As for 5) I can also recommend 'Homegoing' by Yaa Gyasi, if you haven't already read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Ginette ♥️ I've heard of that book I think, but not read it. I'll look it up and put it on my TBR list.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love a Tale of Two Cities. The film was pretty good, too. Would love to reread that one. Macbeth is pretty good. I read Song of the Lark, but I was a little disappointed in it because it was long and slow for a light plot...however, others have gotten more out of it than I did, so please don't be discouraged. Cather's writing style is still as mature and pleasant as usual.

    I am interested in Work, too; therefore, I'll wait to see what you have to say about it. We seem to have similar tastes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth,
      I think I'll save Macbeth for my midyear winter, with all those freezing Scottish plains. I studied it long ago for High School English, and it'll bring back memories.

      My favourite Cather so far has been Death Comes for the Archbishop, and it sounds like that may not change 😉

      A Tale of Two Cities is a Dickens I've never read yet, so I'm glad you recommend it.

      I discovered Work at a second hand shop and look forward to seeing what LMA delivers in it.

      The start of a new year is such a great time to set our reading goals.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Death Comes for the Archbishop was quite pleasurable. I do also love O Pioneers and My Antonia.

      Oh, and you are going to really like A Tale of Two Cities, I'm sure of it.

      Delete
    3. I enjoyed My Antonia for last year's challenge, but O Pioneers! So shocking and sad. Still very well written.

      Delete
  4. ATo2C is my absolute favorite Dickens. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph,I'm sure I will. My favourite so far is Our Mutual Friend, and I wonder if it will challenge that.

      Delete
  5. Great picks, Paula! Looking forward to hearing what you think of them all (especially Lady C, which I must say, for me, was a huge let-down - nowhere near as dirty as I was hoping! haha). I'd love to give The Makioka Sisters a go myself, but I've never come across a copy. Either way, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheree,
      Yeah, I've heard Lady Chatterley's Lover is quite tame 🤣

      The Makioka Sisters sure isn't the easiest to find. It's not in our public library service, but I'm not giving up.

      Delete